There comes a time when a country has to defend itself sadly our current administration does not see it. I for one hate war as odd as that sounds I know the costs and stand to lose a great deal if a large conflict breaks out but here is what the US and its allies are facing from the mullahs in Iran.
1. Iran's threat to the Straights of Hormuz threaten to drive US gas prices to $5 a gallon which will end the economic recovery and cripple most Americans.
2. Nuclear program is proceeding apace this program needs to be knocked back several years.
3. Continued support of Assad in Syria as he slaughters the resistance to him
4. The continued arming and training of Hezbollah (who by the way are also helping Assad).
5. Rumors of MS 13 being trained by Hezbollah or IRGC
6. It is now a fact that Hezbollah is operating and cooperating with drug cartels in Mexico (read these papers on Hezbollah it will open your eyes).
7. This weekend Iran has sent two more warships through the Suez canal they did this earlier this year and docked a cargo ship and destroyer in Syria. The ship of course could not be inspected or intercepted by the Israelis and probably contained more weapons for Hezbollah. Which will use these weapons against Israeli at some point in the future. They do not just stockpile for the fun of it.
8. Iran is shadowing our warships in the Persian Gulf. Yes these ships are a threat and can put big holes in our ships with little warning. Yes they will be sunk but compare an aircraft carrier verses a gunboat see how that weighs on the scales.
9. Iranian support for al-Qaeda and other jihadist networks.
Here are my humble thoughts on the matter we must do several things in a hurry.
1. The Iranian nuclear program must be stopped and stopped now they are not building these things as deterrence. Unlike Pakistan that uses theirs as a shield against India (much the same way that the USSR and the US did) the mullahs have already said they will use them. Imagine if you will an Iranian cargo vessel docking in Saudi Arabia and it detonates a nuclear device there goes your oil and the Middle East will explode with a Shia on Sunni war. Imagine at the same time Iran hits Israel with a missile. The scenarios get worse and worse.
2. Iran's threat to navigate in the Persian Gulf and the Straights must be ended once an for all. Back during the Iran - Iraq war the US Navy did a good job of rolling back the gun boats that were putting holes in tankers this needs to be done again.
3. Actively support the Iranian people that want to get out from underneath the robes of the mullahs. There is a thriving movement that our current administration will not support that wants a non-theocratic rule. If people in this country worry about the Christians taking over go live in a Muslim theocracy and see how much they care for that.
4. Assad in Syria has to go without Syria Iranian support for Hezbollah will be diminished if not cut off entirely. I am not saying that Syria will live in peace with its neighbors (there are reports of Free Syrian Army (FSA) members already saying that once they overthrow Assad Israel is next. What I am saying is damage the near enemy first then deal with that later.
Instead the US is disarming at a rapid rate. Yes we must cut some of the bloat but we must maintain our ground forces and have the naval and air power to support them. Instead we are doing our defense reductions in the wrong direction. The US and its allies must move soon as it faces an immediate threat not only to the world's economy but world peace such as it is as well. Remember Iran has been killing US citizens since the 1980s and hell they took over one of our embassies something I think our current diplomats either do not know or have forgotten. It is time for the mullahs to go.